Wednesday 22 February 2012

In my day... football managers spoke like football managers.

"Two things are now certain. The project that I am here in order to complete to full satisfaction has the unconditional backing of Mr Abramovich. It will not matter at all, in the overall picture that we paint of our future success, whether we qualify for the Champion’s League or get beaten by the local girl guides. The support is unequivocally unconditional.
And the second thing that is as most certain as the first, is that I will continue to talk in ludicrously overwrought sentences, using as many long words as I can contend (but not necessarily the right ones, or in the right order) in an attempt to impress you with my phenomenal command of your language, which is not my native, and my superior intelligence."

"These things are true. Unconditionally. And are fundamental to the project that we have instigated to bring new success to the club which deserves it but can only achieve it with change. They have enjoyed success, but now they need change. And I am here to make that change. Unconditionally."

"People can talk, and they do, and they may have their opinions, but they do not see the picture that the knowledge I have of the workings of the tactics of football paint in my head. So I must make the decisions. Unconditionally. Because it is not the job of the players to take on a project like the project we have undertaken to take on. It is their job to play football. It is the job of the manager, who is in charge, to make big decisions, which not everyone will agree with. Unconditionally. And what other people may think or say is not of importance, because it is not their project. It is mine."

"And while it may be true that the resulting negative performance scenarios that have meant that the level of success that we demand at a club of this stature, that has a project, have not delivered the positive result based situation as soon as we all desire, it is important for people to remember that projects do not happen overnight. And this is unconditional. We are all learning and moving forwards, in order to get back to previous success. It is something we all must fight for, with our minds as well as our bodies, and those who are not prepared for the challenge will find their own place to achieve their personal career situations. But it will not be here. That is not part of the project."

"There are those that say, like Harry Redknapp, that his in-law of mother could score many of the chances that Torres has missed, and he is free to say so. Why not?  He is a manager after all, like me. But not like me. Not like me at all. Because he has not been brought in to have a project. But he is entitled to his opinion. Unconditionally. It is just not my opinion. And it is wrong."

"The criticism is easy from people who sit on televisions and pontificate. But they are not at the pitch sides and on the training grounds. They are sitting on televisions. Which is easy. We can all sit on televisions. They can say whatever they feel, from the top of their heads with no real understanding of the true situation, because they do not have a project to deliver. A project that we all have agreed upon, unconditionally, and that will take the time it is necessary for these projects to take to deliver their desired, positive results."

"To say I have lost the dressing room tells me a lot about how little the British media understand about the inner workings of the family of football, as we inside properly understand it. And it is a family. We are all close. Very close, but at times we will disagree. Because that is what families do. It is normal, everywhere, so people should not be surprised. And it is that which gives families the strength to complete their projects. This is normal and natural. And unconditional.  And these people must remember that I was previously in a different position but at the same club with Jose Mourinho, at a different time, so I know well how to find the dressing room. And the gym and the canteen and everything."

"You may say, and I know people do, because I listen to what words say on the street and in the grounds as well as in the papers, that I have the arrogance of Mourinho, without the charm or the talent. But this is not true. Sure, I have confidence. Big confidence, and that is an essential element for me to complete the project that we have begun, and we will see to completion. Unconditionally. But Jose has his talents and I have mine. Which are different, and plain to see. Because I learnt from him a lot, which is good, because he is a winner. But I am different."

"So I will complete the project, unconditionally, and I will not listen to what the negative thinking people imitate. It is poison that I don’t need to drink. I black out the words they say, so they don’t deflect my thinking from the concentration on the importance and long term success of the project. I black out especially the ones who make fun of my nice mackintosh coat, and shout ‘Frank Spencer!’, and ‘Where’s your Vesuvius?’ They don’t know what they are saying. Neither do I. I am not Frank Spencer. It must be a joke, but not one I understand. I simply understand football. And the project. And I understand that unconditionally."



.  


No comments:

Post a Comment